The Route

The Route
The Route

Thursday 16 September 2010

7km on a chocolate croissant

Went to bed content and tired, but was woken in the early hours by a lot of shouting and banging outside, and I was on the fifth floor of this huge albergue just behind Burgos cathedral. Left at about 6:40am in darkness and rain with another long walk to the city limits and out onto rolling fields that seem to go on forever about 5km after leaving the city limits I stopped for breakfast and saw lots of familiar faces, one of them was Maurice a Dutch man about mid to late twenties we both accused one another of stalking the other. Maurice I first met at Los Arcos he told me that he wasn't religious, but had given up his rented flat and sold all his belongings to do the Camino and I have since found out that he has attended mass. After greeting him with the usual joke and noticed that my poncho that I had been wearing was receiving admiring glances until I took it off, I was wetter on the inside than I was on the out. After breakfast of a chocolate croissant I walked a further 7 km to the village of Rabe De Las Calzadas where Ray and Martha were staying. They're having a bad time with various injuries. I stayed for about 30 minutes with them and then a quick hug goodbye I was off again across those persistent rolling fields I stopped in the next village and had a large French stick filled with nothing but sliced tomatoes an orange drink and a small red apple that was crisp and sweet. I sat on a very narrow pavement with my boots off and feet in the road daring anyone to run over them, only the local bread van drove past and was used to seeing peligrinos sat out side this little shop. After the lunch from heaven I put my pack back walked further into the village where I saw a gathering of pilgrims who by looks of things had called it a day and were drinking beers, it looked so tempting but I stopped filled my bottles with water, they raised their glasses and bid me buen Camino and I was off again. I am now in Hontanas 31km further down the road with sore feet and a chilled beer in front of me ..................... Life is good

No comments: