The Route

The Route
The Route

Thursday 30 September 2010

Route to Sarria via Samos


Up at 7am a quick coffee and off again. I'm getting really exited now. I walked with Michael from Austria we decided to take the slightly longer route to Sarria via Samos so that we could visit the monastery. As we looked back at Triacastela we could see clouds of mist roll over the foothills of the mountain we had descended from the previous afternoon. We followed the river that ran along the valley floor through ancient little hamlets that take you back in time only to be brought sharply back into the 21century by the sight of a BMW parked neatly in an old stone barn. We stopped at Samos but couldn't visit the monastery till later in the day so we went to a local bar to order lunch, which also wasn't available till later. So after a quick drink we carried on to Sarria where Michael would terminate his walk and catch the train to Madrid for his flight back to Austria. We opted for the direct route which unfortunately took us alongside the road, the walk on Tarmac has taken it's toll on my feet and knees, I was hoping to pass Sarria and do another 6km further. I got into an albergue and went down stairs for a shower and found a vacant cubicle that had a towel on the hanger outside and a pair of pants, after a quick look Inside I could see it was free and started to get undressed for a shower, when looked up I saw a totally naked Spaniard walking on his heals towards me from the toilet the other side of the washroom. He waived me out of his way and went into the shower and stayed in there until all the hot water had gone. So it was a cold shower for minty and me. Normally I would have at the very least remonstrated with this young Spaniard, who is one of the ever growing crowds doing a very short Camino Sarria being the last possible place of joining it and getting a Compostela. I have it seems grown more tolerant.   I'm now sat at a roadside table drinking wine and waiting for the restaurant to start serving food.
And life is good

No comments: