The Route

The Route
The Route

Thursday 23 September 2010

La Virgen del Camino to San Martin Del Camino

I left Maurice this morning he was going on the new route that kept you away from the traffic, I opted for the traditional route that had now given way to a main road and took you through the middle of a giant a clover leaf junction and a trading estate, this was so that I could pop in and see Ray and Martha. I hoped that Ray might be in a position to help me language wise with my shin problem. After an hour and a half of limping I reached the albergue where they were staying . I was made very welcome by the hospitalera after my dice with death in crossing the busy main road (you try running with a 40ton hgv bearing down on you, with a laden back pack and an ankle that doesn't give a damn about your personal safety) Ray was up and ready to greet me in the garden and ordered some coffee for me. He spoke to the hospitalera for me , who was on his way to Leon. I waited a couple of hours for his return to be told that I will be taken to see the doctor the next day (don't get me wrong I loved the time I spent with Ray and Martha, they are my two most dearest friends, but they were unable to walk, and I was, albeit in pain) it was to long to wait for me as the Camino was calling, as it had since day one, I just couldn't stop, the urge to keep walking was now controlling every single part of me. To get even closer to Santiago. So after Ray gave me some volterol to rub onto my swelling shin, it was yet another kiss and hug goodbye and off down the road that just won't let me quit. I had looked out for a medical centre in the next two towns, but to no avail. I was never going to look to hard anyway if it meant straying more than a few metres off the route. So I've covered about 23km. I walked into San Martin del Comino passing the first albergue and following the signs to the second, which for some reason took me off the main road and right past a large dog that had a penchant for lone pilgrims. The albergue was sparse with little or no facilities. I had a quick shower and was waiting for the hospitaler to show up, when he finally did I noticed that an Italian was speaking and waving his arms frantically (as all Italians do) pointing outside. I went for a walk to see if I could find a chemist and somewhere to eat. I saw the same Italian with a smile on his face , I looked into the distance and could see another albergue. He had figured out that the sign for the albergue we were in, had posted their sign to take us off the route and thus avoiding a much better albergue that even had a restaurant . After a quick packing session, and wearing sandals carrying my boots with back pack slung over my shoulder I made my way with a group of grinning Italians to the other albergue. I saw a Dutch couple I met the night before., he had caught a bus ahead of his wife due to a knee injury, I asked if he had a support he said yes, I produced the one my son Paul had bought for me and got him to try it on, it worked a charm, he was able to walk again. He asked where could he get one, I said I've been carrying it with me since leaving England and not had to use it, I said "I must have been carrying it all that way for a reason, and the reason had just presented itself. (just like the compede I had been carrying but not needing, which I gave to Suzanne for her blisters). All in all today has been slower than I would have wanted but it helped me, it helped me help another, and it put me in a place amongst familiar faces. I spent the evening with the delightful Dutch couple, and when they moved into the dining room the Australian couple I had spoken to on the Meseta magically appeared to share a drink and an evening meal with. Life is not just good it's special!

No comments: