The Route

The Route
The Route

Tuesday 7 September 2010

Puenta La Reina to Estella

First of all i like to appolgise for my bad spelling, my brain is walk only mode and spanish computers don´t spell check english. that´s my excuse and i´m sticking to it.
Any way The Albergue in Puenta la Reina was a joy . It was a hotel with an albergue in the basement for pilgrims ,it was the first one i came upon just on the edge of town. After freshning up i walked into town to find a farmacia to buy cream for my various bites.then returned for dinner which was a buffet with a bottle of wine per table.and guess what, I was on my own so a bottle of wine to oneself went down a treat. had a job finding my bunk though. I was texting home when I heard a familar voice, it was an irish pilgrim who was in a group of three very jovial and full of the blarney, I had seen them on the first day on the mountain pass to Spain and also bumped into them on Alto Perdon ( while on the Alto i also saw the Slovakian pilgrim i attended mass with in Pamplona). In the albergue i was also greated by two spainish pilgrims i joined for coffee in Pamplona near the cathedral, they shook my hand like an old lost friend and looking worried informed that rain was forcast for the next day which would make going hard. I also got talking to two young spaniards Pepe and Ramon both live in Crawley and are flight crew for monarch. I got up at about five o´clock this morning went to the bathroom to use some of the cream I bought the night before on my bites,which had now spread to my butt( how they got and why there i coudn´t tell you) any way all the lights weren´t working so i had to fumble about in the dark trying not to mix up the bite cream with my tooth paste( don´t get me wrong having a butt smelling of mint is not a bad thing but it would still itch). When me and my minty butt left the abergue it was about six thirty and still dark. I made my way across town to pick up the trail to the sound of cricketts and a distant dog barking, other than that the town was still asleep and quiet. When day light came i could see that the golden harvested wheat fields where now sharing the landscape with vinyards, which is good if i´m to continually consume wine in the quantities i did the night before. The winding trail led to some amazing little pueblo´s all with there own little church at the centre and situated above all the houses. The trail led me onto an old roman road just as it began to rain making the steep descents very slippery. I had walked ten kilometres befor stopping for some thing to eat, just two small wheat bars i bought in the second pueblo. I carried on to the next one and found a small cafe adjoined to an albergue and had a tortilla de patat and bread,with a coffee. Me, my little legs and minty butt made it into Estella at about 2pm but i carried on through the original town and onto Oyeiga which is about 2 kilometres further on. The heat got the better of me walking up a steep concrete path and i´ve now stopped for the day i´ve done my washing, and i´m listening to neil diomond played by Peter the german volunteer for this albergue. The albergue is a sports hall which still has all it´s original facilities including squash court, although i can´t see any pilgrim taken advantage of them.Any hoo i waffled on again so it´s time to go and the question is.... is life still good. well let me think I´ve found my lost socks i´ve completed my first 100 kilometres in Spain , i´m clean and don´t smell like a tramp and i´ve got a minty bottom. you bet it´s good Adios

1 comment:

David Williamson said...

Hi Rod I have been reading your post and overall so far, it sounds that you are very much enjoying your pilgrimage, long may it continue. I must say that you had me in fits of laughter on your toothpaste mix up lol. Take care Bruv!